The Sheldon Museum features its permanent collection of 19th and 20th century Vermont furniture, paintings, and household objects exhibited in the elegant Federal house built in 1829 by marble merchants Eben Judd and Lebbeus Harris. Changing special exhibits are on view in the Cerf Gallery.
Walter Cerf Gallery
Built in 1991 through the generosity of art dealer and philanthropist Walter Cerf, the Cerf Gallery has become a hub of public activity at the Museum. A varied exhibition schedule features both historically-themed exhibits and artworks by contemporary Vermont artists and craftspeople. Recent exhibits highlighted the history of Addison County Fair and Field Days, changes in the Vermont landscape in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, Vermont’s role in the Civil War, and leisure life in 19th century Vermont.
The Gallery also serves as a public venue for gallery talks, school programs and special events.